Friday, July 23, 2010

Strength in Adversity

My dad is sick. He's 72 and he has some un-named lung problem. He has to be on oxygen all the time and can barely even walk up stairs. That may not seem terribly outrageous for a 72 year-old. But a year ago when I moved from California to Texas he helped load the moving van and drove it across the country. Then he helped carry heavy furniture up my stairs. My dad has eaten healthy for decades and exercised three times a week without fail for as long as I can remember.

Right now he is in his car with his portable oxygen machine driving to a hospital in Colorado. This hospital specializes in respiratory issues. He has high hopes that they will figure out what is wrong with him and find a treatment.

He took care of himself and did things "right." But, here he is, sick anyway. We just only have so much control over our futures.

I remember when I was younger I felt like nothing could really go terribly wrong. It's not that my life was perfect, but I felt like there were certain things I just couldn't handle so I couldn't possibly go through them.

I've heard it said that the strongest oak trees grow where the strongest winds blow. They respond to difficulty by becoming strong. I always thought that I had to be strong enough to deal with life's difficulties. I didn't realize that difficulties build strength.

As a single mom of four, I do things now that I never thought I could do. I really never thought that I could handle being the one in charge. I was a big fan of passing the buck. I enjoyed the security of feeling that if I couldn't handle something there was someone else who could take care of it. But now there isn't. So with whatever comes up, I'm the man (so to speak).

I hope that my dad gets his answers this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment