Sunday, July 11, 2010

Rest Time

Every afternoon for one hour everyone in my house has to go to separate rooms and be quiet. The little ones nap and the older ones play quietly, read a book, or listen to a book on cd. I don't schedule any piano classes during that time because I cherish that hour.

Rest time developed out of nap time. I realized that I needed that time to breathe, even after my kids stopped napping. I remember my mother making a comment about what a great opportunity that was to get housework done. . . uh, no. That is my sanity time.

I think I'm probably the only person in my home who actually looks forward to rest time, but it is good for all of us. One thing about being a homeschooling family - we see a lot of each other. And I love seeing a lot of each other. It's part of the reason I homeschool. I love being around my kids. They're great little people. But I think as a homeschooling mom (especially a single one) it is really easy to forget to take care of myself. And rest time is a chance to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment