Sunday, July 11, 2010

Chivalry

I had an interesting experience this past weekend. I was at a song leading rehearsal for my church. I had brought my keyboard, which isn't terribly heavy, but is a bit cumbersome. I had to leave a little bit early, so I tried to pack it up and slip out without disturbing the rehearsal that was still going on.

I carted my stuff to the door and was getting ready to load up and take it to the car. Suddenly, three men in the rehearsal stopped what they were doing (including the one directing), jumped up and rushed to help me.

I was truly moved by that. I think as single moms we get so used to just doing what needs to be done that we forget what it feels like to receive help. I certainly could have opened the door and carried my stuff to the car alone. I do it all the time. But the gesture reminded me of something.

God wants his daughters to be treated with respect and tenderness. Many of us who have become single moms did not get here through respect and tenderness. Many of us have wounded hearts. Many may have completely forgotten what it feels like to be treated well. Many have forgotten that as daughters of God, we are worthy of being treated well - not because we have earned it - but because God loves us.

So, the next time you are carting stuff to your car, or putting the kids to bed by yourself, or wishing you had a partner to sit and talk about your day with, remember that you aren't as alone as you may feel. God is with us every step of the way. He will give us the strength and resources to do what must be done, but he will also treat us with chivalry, respect and tenderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment