Monday, August 30, 2010

Give Me a Break!

No, really, I needed a break.

As a single mom, especially a homeschooling one, I am around my kids all the time. And I love being around my kids. It's part of the reason that I choose to homeschool. But as moms, we all need a break occasionally.

A dear friend of mine (also a homeschooling, single mom) offered to keep my kids for a full 24 hours so that I could have a real break -no diapers to change, no little mouths to feed, no arguments to referee, no one to put to bed at night, and no one to interrupt my quiet time in the morning. And I didn't have to keep looking at my watch so I wouldn't miss pick-up time since they were spending the night.

I really appreciate her heart. I didn't ask her for that, or even complain to her that I needed a break. But in her situation her kids are elsewhere every other weekend so she gets a break then. She knew that I didn't.

It was lovely. I grilled myself a steak for dinner, with sauteed mushrooms. I did some shopping (fun shopping). I went to the fabric store and browsed in Half-Price Books. I sat at home and relaxed. And before I picked up my kids the next day I had a hot fudge sundae for dinner.

I am starting this week much more refreshed. Once I thought about it I realized that I hadn't had 24 hours without my children and without anything scheduled in four years. These years are busy years, and wonderful years. I know I will get lots of breaks in the far-off future. But, still, it was a nice 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment