Monday, August 23, 2010

Double Standards

I teach piano lessons. Actually, I teach lessons with a revolutionary piano method called Simply Music®. This particular method is taught most effectively in groups. So, I typically teach classes with 2-5 students. The classes are great fun, but even more than that, the success of the students is like nothing I have ever seen before.

This week I had an inquiry from a homeschooling family with 3 children. I spoke with the mom who was interested in enrolling all three. She was happy to find out that, because they were fairly close in age, they could all be in a class together.

Then this morning she called me again. Her husband decided that the lessons were too expensive. I understand that. I'm on a very tight budget myself. But then she told me that her husband had figured up that I would be making more an hour than he does, so he wasn't willing to pay that much.

These people don't know that I am a single mom and that this is how I support my family. But, that shouldn't matter. What is the double standard here? Is it that a woman shouldn't make as much as a man? Or is it that piano teachers shouldn't make decent money? Whatever it was, it made me spitting-mad.

Perhaps if he is concerned that I make more money per hour than he does he should consider teaching Simply Music piano lessons himself. He wouldn't even need a music degree.

If you are interested in teaching Simply Music check out www.simplymusic.com/AboutTeaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment